Skip to main content

31 Posts Of Halloween: Dracula Book Review



So I finally finished reading Dracula a little while ago and I thought, what better way to end 31 Posts Of Halloween to review the book Dracula by Bram Stocker!

The book is split up into mostly diary entries. We the audience get to see the story unfold in multiple perspectives. The main characters we see the story through are Johnathan Harker, Mina Murray, Dr. Seward, and Lucy Westenra.
The story begins following Johnathan Harker, as he is traveling to meet Count Dracula. Johnathan is a solicitor. He is supposed to go and see the Count to help him move to London, in the way of getting his paperwork in order. The locals are basically telling him not to go and that he should turn back. Being the clever man that he is Johnathan presses ahead and meets with Dracula. There are a few things that happen that we would consider spooky by todays standards in the story. The first few chapters of this book deal with the interactions of Johnathan and Dracula. Yet as the story progresses we met Mina Murray, Johnathan's finance, Lucy Westenra, Mina's best friend. We also meet Dr. Seward, and Van Helsing. As the Count comes to London, spooky things start to happen that bring
everyone together, and they must stop Dracula!
Alright, so just to warn you, Dracula  is a very, very long book. I cannot stress that enough! If you don't like long reads, then this is not for you. Yet if you do, or if you want to challenge yourself, then, go right on ahead!
Now, you may have noticed that I have reviewed more than one film about Dracula, and my distaste for the films. The real reason I dislike most Dracula films, is because they really do suck (no pun intended) compared to the book.
My favorite character in the book is probably Dr. Seward, and when he interacts with his patient Renfield, oh boy do things get interesting very fast! Dr. Seward in my opinion is probably one of the most well written characters in the entire book as well.
Oh! Before I forget, you know how in all the Dracula movies how Van Helsing is like a (sometimes) mean old badass? Well, aren't you in for a surprise! In the book, Van Helsing is one of the nicest characters ever written. Seriously! This dude is super polite, and I mean, like over the top polite at times, but it really fits his character.
If you like vampires, I would recommend reading Dracula. Though it is long and should have been cut about 50 pages, it is nonetheless a good book. It's just one of those classics you feel good to say, yeah, I've read Dracula.


final score: 4.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...