Skip to main content

Detective Pikachu Movie Review

Pokemon Detective Pikachu Movie Poster

Detective Pikachu Movie Review

Your Kids Will Like This

I saw Detective Pikachu over the weekend and if you grew up with Pokemon then you'll probably get some enjoyment.
Detective Pikachu follows a young man named Tim and a Pikachu with whom he can talk too. They go on an adventure in search of Tim's dad, and to figure out Pikachu's past.
If I was a little kid, I would have had a blast with this film. Yet I'm not a little kid, so how does Detective Pikachu stand up as a film? The answer is... meh.
Look there've been tons of good and bad kids films, and Detective Pikachu falls somewhere in the middle. The animation of the Pokemon is really well done, however the dialogue is pretty stilted. The actors never 100% felt like they were getting into their roles. 
The film tries to have heart, but it fails. It's not a miserable fail, but it just didn't seem genuine at any time in the film. 
This is going to be a pretty short review. I wanted to like this film, I really did. I wanted to give it a 3, but I can't bring myself to do it. I grew up playing the Pokemon games on my Gameboy, and watching the show and collecting the cards, and that's where my perspective is coming from. If you have little kids that are into Pokemon, they'll enjoy it. It's probably the best reason to go and see Detective Pikachu.



final score:2.9/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...