Skip to main content

History Week! The Duchess Movie Review


The Duchess is a 2008 historical drama which surprised me on how good it was.

The Duchess takes place in the latter half of the 18th century, in which Georgiana Spencer (Keira Knightley) became the Duchess of Devonshire. The film focuses on her marriage and her life.
Going into this film I wasn't expecting for it to hold much appeal for me, and I admit that I presumed it would be a long boring film. Granted this is a long film, or it least it does feel long at times. Yet there is a level of class to The Duchess which I greatly appreciate.
The sets and costumes are very beautiful and they really immerse you into the film.
All of the actors in this movie do a good job... well for the most part anyways. There are a couple minor performances that are a bit dull. Keira Knightley does a fantastic job in this film, and I think she just does a great job in any historical film that she's in, as it seems as if it comes naturally to her. The other main actors also do a fine job in this film as well.
Now, this isn't for everyone, and if you hold no interest in the 1700's or English Nobility, then you probably won't like this film. If however, you do enjoy a bit of a period piece about this era, then there's a chance you may find yourself enjoying this movie.



final score: 4/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!