Skip to main content

Thoroughbreds Movie Review

Thoroughbreds is an amazing film that portrays the friendship of two teen girls with a darker twist. I really enjoyed this movie, and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean I thought it was going to be good, but not this good.
So, Thoroughbreds follows Amanda (Olivia Cooke) who is a sociopath, and Lilly (Anya Taylor Joy) who is your average high end rich teen. Well I should note that they both come from money in this film as it portrays their perspectives a little differently than I would have thought. So, Lilly really doesn't like her stepdad and starts to complain about it to her friend Amanda. Naturally, Amanda suggests that Lilly should kill her stepdad, and then it gets. really freaking interesting.
I really liked Olivia Cooke's performance in this movie and I thought that she did an excellent job. Granted I have not seen her in many other films, but Thoroughbreds is by far the best acting I have seen from her so far. Her character Amanda is just so interesting and captivating, hell I would probably pay to watch a short film of just her character. Then there is Anya Taylor Joy, who is by far one of my favorite actresses and I think that she is an actor to watch out for. I don't think that Anya Taylor Joy's character Lilly was her strongest performance, but she kept it interesting. So, I was pretty happy about that honestly.
The music in this film is somewhat eerie, and can be a little nerve racking at times, as it adds a level of uncertainness to the film that raises the tension. Though the music is... different... at times it can still be enjoyable.
There are some interesting tracking shot's in Thoroughbreds, that if you weren't paying attention you might have missed it. The camera work in this movie is very well done, and depicts the visual story beautifully.
This really is a great movie and I enjoyed it immensely. The problems that I have with this film are very minor. The experience that you get with this movie is an odd ride that you don't know which way you will turn next but you can't wait to see where this ride is going. I was going to originally give this movie a 4.3 out of 5 but after much reconsideration I think that I will be giving this movie bit of a higher rating. I will probably buy Thoroughbreds at some point. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I recommend that you do.


final score: 4.5/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!