Skip to main content

Jumanji: The Next Level Movie Review

Jumanji: The Next Level Movie Poster

Jumanji: The Next Level Movie Review

Paint By Numbers: The Movie

A few days ago, I went and saw Jumanji: The Next Level with some friends of mine. Well, I can say this, Danny Devito should not do slapstick.
Jumanji: The Next Level is a continuation from the previous Jumanji film that came out back in 2017. Same character same plot, new backdrops.
I'm not going into the plot really because it's not worth the time to write it out. I was so bored watching this film I wanted to fall asleep. My gosh darn eyes refused to do so, which honestly sucks. Going into Jumanji: The Next Level I thought it would be a bad film, but I could at least have some fun with it. Oh, I was wrong. There is little to no fun to be had with this film. The script is bland and cliche, the acting is poor, and they hold back from making this an interesting film.
I don't know who the writers were for this film, and frankly, I'm not going to look them up. I don't want to give them credit. This script really is paint by numbers. Go to location A and do X, go to location B and do Y, You win! Ugh!!! It's so freaking frustrating the lack of effort placed into this film. Which is surprising since the environments are actually pretty good, but they barely do anything with them!
I have to say this, and it's not really a spoiler since it happens within like the first half hour of the film. Okay, here it goes, what the film tries to pass off as humor was Danny Devito tripping over a chair. They try to make it look like slapstick, but they fail miserably. It looks just like a guy fell over a chair, but they try and play it up with Danny Devito over acting the scene. Which I'm surprised, because I know Danny Devito can do way better, the guy is a good actor. I don't know why I just wrote a paragraph to what was probably less than 10 seconds of screen time, but it pissed me off how lazy the scene was.
They have a solid cast, but most of the actors look like they're here just for the paycheck and hey, I don't blame them. However, they could have turned this into a "it's so bad it's good" type of movie, but they don't seem like they're even having fun with it. The only actor who consistently got a chuckle out of me was Kevin Hart. I applaud you Kevin Hart, good job. 
What's also really infuriating is the backdrops to the film. They obviously made some good environments for the story to play around with, but they go bare bones with the settings. I'd love for them to have played around with it more, but no, they can't do that!
Jumanji: The Next Level is a forgettable movie. It won't be remembered in a couple of weeks from now. I hate kicking off the year with a bad film, but at least I got to spend some time with my friends. Save your money and do NOT see, Jumanji: The Next Level.


Final Score: 2.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would