Skip to main content

Why I Hate Opening Credits

Well, not all opening credits, but most I should state for the point.
You know what they are, they tell you who's in it and who made it during the first few minutes of screen time. It's not like that comes at the end of the film, nope not at all... oh wait...
To me it takes me out of the atmosphere of the film, I do prefer just a title card placed in the film, it gets straight to the point and it is simple and sometimes artful enough to really bring you through the first act of the film.
But some of you may be yelling at me, "But that's what opening credits do!" You exclaim metaphorically loudly at your screen, or maybe not.
But my question to you is, "Why do we have to sit through the same credits twice?" I came to watch a movie, not watch the credits. The reason why I say this is, if the movie was bad, like really really bad then when it's over and the credits roll I don't have to sit through the credits, I can just leave, but again if the movie is bad then I am forced to sit through the dragged out credits at least one time more than I want to. If the movie overall was good, I could decide to sit through the credits as a way to express that I really did enjoy watching the film, or maybe I really liked an effect that I saw and I want to know who was on the team that made that, or heck I might even want to see who the director was, because I might enjoy watching other films that they have worked on. Yet with opening credits, it doesn't feel like they have earned it yet. Why should I sit through you almost gloating, and sometimes praising yourself and your film, before I've decided if I even like it yet. Please just let me watch the film and decide for myself if it is worth watching the credits.
There are some good examples of opening credits though. For example, Deadpool does the opening credits really well, because... IT'S LITERALLY A JOKE!!!
I don't want to sit through some boring graphics that for some reason they thought it a good idea to put it in.
Sorry but I have had this on my mind for a bit and I wanted to say my peace on this topic within the realm of film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!