Skip to main content

Why Fox's X-Men Franchise is the best Superhero Franchise

This is completely my own opinion and I am writing this in Nov. 2017 for future reference so I don't know how things will change in the years to come. Now that that's out of the way, on to the article! :)

I want to start by saying that I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, but once and a while I do like to see one. I should address my thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Extended Universe.
So First off with the DCEU. I will admit that I liked Man of Steel, it's not great but it's not amazing, it's just something I would watch on tv if there was nothing else on. Batman vs Superman was a bit of a mess, there were a few good parts but it wasn't that good, though I did really like the opening to the film. Suicide Squad was entertaining but I think it was done wrong. WonderWoman was the best out of this franchise so far, and it was pretty good, but I think it had a weak ending. Overall the DCEU is alright, but a bit mindless fun that want's to be edgier than it is.
Then we have the MCU which I don't really care for. I liked IronMan, it was a good fun movie. Captain America the Winter Soldier was pretty good. Dr. Strange was fine. I'm looking forward to seeing Black Panther. Yet the rest of the films aren't that noteworthy, the Avengers was... well... in my own words... meh... not the best but not terrible. Thor was a really bad movie, I think the acting was pretty bad. I will get hate for this one but, I think that Guardians of the Galaxy was the second worst film I have ever seen (this is a very unpopular opinion). A big criticism I have with Marvel is that there stories are kind of repetitive and they seem unwilling to try much new things.
Now with the X-Men franchise is the best in my opinion. But first, yes I know that X-Men is apart of Marvel, and I think it's better than the rest of the Marvel stories. I haven't seen all of the X-Men movies the first one I saw was The Last Stand, and I've seen the other films from then on. Granted that these ones can be very cheesy, I would like to point out two films that make up for all of this and make Fox's X-Men franchise superior to the other superhero franchises. The two films are, and you probably have thought of it, they are, Deadpool, and Logan. These two films do things that NEITHER the MCU or the DCEU have the guts to do, and they are different genres, that occupy the same universe. Deadpool is a raunchy parody, Logan is a western, and they exist in the same universe! Name another film franchise that does this, continually! Now as of writing this there is another spinoff, called The New Mutants coming out next year and it is going to be a horror film! A freaking horror film! With the X-Men spinoffs, they have been really good so far, so if this trend is to continue then The New Mutants is sure to be good, plus the film has an outstanding cast to go along with it! The spinoffs show blood(Deadpool, and Logan), they show raw heart (Logan), they make you laugh by not holding back on their humor (Deadpool), and now they might scare the crap out of you (The New Mutants). If you want a basic superhero movie like the DCEU, or the MCU then watch the main X-Men franchise, sure there are some bad films in it, and there are some decent ones. But Fox has struck gold with the X-Men spinoffs, as of right now (including The New Mutants) there is four, yes four, genres in one franchise, there's the regular superhero (action-drama-comedy,(touches on all but does not go very deep into each) The regular franchise), then there's comedy (Deadpool), and western (Logan), and now horror (The New Mutants). If you don't like one genre, then try another! Fox is diversifying in what they make, by creating character driven not plot driven (I'm still looking at you MCU and DCEU) stories, and they are letting the filmmakers make the kind of film they want! This is cinematic genius!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would