Skip to main content

The Professor and the Madman Movie Review

The Professor and the Madman Movie Poster

The Professor and the Madman Movie Review

A Good Film

I just finished watching, The Professor and the Madman and I found myself enjoying the film. It might be a bit slow for some, but it's still good.
The Professor and the Madman is about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary and how one Scot, and one American made great progress at the beginning of the Dictionary. James Murray (Mel Gibson) is presented as a hyper-polyglot at the beginning of the film and appears that he may be the only one up to the task at starting a dictionary comprised of every English word. Dr. William Minor (Sean Penn) is found insane for the murder of Eliza Merrett's (Natalie Dormer) husband. He is placed in psychiatric hospital where he faces what he has done and what haunts him from the past. Dr. William Minor discovers a plea for help in the creation of the dictionary and he assists James Murray in its creation, while attempting to make amends with Eliza Merrett.
I found The Professor and the Madman to be a joy to watch. This is a very particular style of film, and it's not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine. The acting was well done, the camera work was solid, the music was typical but not overdone, and the story was solid. I don't know much about the history behind The Professor and the Madman, but I will not be judging this film on a historical basis, but as a film in and of itself.
It's been a while since I've seen a Mel Gibson or Sean Penn film. I am a fan of Natalie Dormer, and seeing these three actors work together I must say, they really played well off of each other. The chemistry fits. Even the minor characters in the film have some life to them. Pretty much everyone in The Professor and the Madman did an excellent job.
The cinematography of The Professor and the Madman was crisp and clean. The lighting of each and every shot was top notch and fit the scenes perfectly. There where some nice shots that didn't drag either and held my attention fully.
One thing that surprised me is the use of music. Sometimes films such as these, overuse their music. But, The Professor and the Madman didn't, in fact it used it's soundtrack effectively. The film knew when to be silent, and when to play.
The story itself was solid. I came to discover that The Professor and the Madman was based on a book, which in turn was based on the real events. As a story, it was entertaining. The pacing was consistent and didn't drag. I was hooked into the film from the first second, to the last.
If you enjoy these historical style period pieces, I think you will enjoy The Professor and the Madman. I really wanted to see this film when it came out last year, but I was unable too at the time. I'm happy that I finally got to see, The Professor and the Madman.


final score: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoë Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!