Skip to main content

The King's Man Movie Review

 

The King's Man Movie Poster

The King's Man Movie Review

A Solid Addition To The Franchise

I just got out of seeing The King's Man with a friend, and I must say that this was a wonderful addition to the franchise but not in the way you would think.
The King's Man follows the Oxford family at the outset of WWI and as events unfold, the inception of The Kingsman Agency commences.
This film surprised me. It's a bit different in tone from the other films, but in a good way. The comedy, while present, is toned down for a more dramatic take. The King's Man is not as action packed as the previous installments, but when it is present, the flair still holds. I found the cinematography to be somewhat standard, but there are a few creative shots thrown in for good measure. 
The actors played their part well. Everyone enveloped the personalities they portrayed. Rasputin isn't in the film as much as the trailers would have you believe but his scenes are well done. The Oxford family and associates are played well. 
I do want to note that this is historical fiction. Not everything is 100% accurate to history, and the movie doesn't act like it is. Though there are a couple historical jokes sprinkled throughout the film, and my friend and I found ourselves laughing through them. We were the only ones in the theater that laughed. I'm not sure if other people didn't get the references or not, but it's a boon to the film if you do get them. If you don't they still make for an entertaining moment.
The cinematography really shines during the action scenes. They were fun and engaging. The flair of the usual Kingsman style could be felt. There aren't as many as the previous films though, and I could see that being a drag for some people. 
The pacing is a bit on the slower side, but I think it works for the tone that The King's Man was going for. If you're alright with a bit of a slower paced film, I think you'll find this enjoyable. It's not a major negative, and I don't really mind it.
There are some predictable events in The King's Man, and they are obvious. I will note that there are one or two things that diid catch me by surprise and raised the bar of my opinion. The King's Man wasn't afraid to take a risk, and I think it pays off.
If you're a fan of this franchise I would recommend seeing The King's Man. If you haven't watched the previous two films, but are interested in seeing this one, don't worry, you don't have to see the others to get this one. There are some references to the first two films, but they only add to the experience.
Overall, I think this is a solid film and one that I look forward to seeing again. It was a nice afternoon going to see, The King's Man.


final score: 4.3/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoë Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...