Skip to main content

The New Mutants Movie Review

The New Mutants Movie Poster

The New Mutants Movie Review

IT'S HERE!!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!

I'm proud to say that I have seen The New Mutants!!! It's been three years in the waiting, but I've finally seen The New Mutants!!!
I'm going to keep it simple and use the IMDB description for the film, "Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves."
I'm so happy that I've seen The New Mutants I thought that this day would never come. If you've been following this blog for a while you know how much I've wanted to see this film. And I'm happy with it. The cast really play well off of each other, there are some cool effects, and it's just all around fun.
Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, Blu Hunt, Henry Zaga, and Alice Barga all did a great job in The New Mutants. The script doesn't carry the cast, the cast carries the script. The talent just plays so well off of each other. Each and every one of them did a great job. I enjoyed all of their characters.
Though you can tell the CGI in the film, it's still well done and blends well with the overall tone of the film. They do some neat stuff in minor details once and a while where it looks more like practical effects rather than CGI, and it's cool when you notice it.
There are some negatives however. First off, the movie felt short to me. The runtime was 1 hour 38 minutes but it felt like it was rushed at some points. I would have loved to have seen another 22 minutes of screen time getting to know these characters. The ending was a little cliche too and they could have handled it a little better but it was still fun. This movie was marketed originally as a horror film. There are a few elements missing from the movie that was in the trailers (I can think of at least one off the top of my head) and it's a real shame. I feel like Disney put it's paws on this film in the editing room and changed some things. This move demands an extended Rated R cut, and by golly they better release it on DVD!!! The horror feels like it was toned down more than it should have been, and it sucks.
I'm just happy with the cast that we got and that The New Mutants was a fun popcorn flick. It has so much potential and I wish they won't hold back. There should be another cut of this film. But as it stands it is fun. One great thing The New Mutants does is show not tell. The amount of showing in this film is fantastic and you get to know a bit about each of the characters in a natural manner. I still would have enjoyed seeing more of them interacting with each other though. 
Oh! and before I forget there is a nice tie in to another X-Men film which I didn't expect. You can tell Fox had a vision for this going forward and it looks like it would have been a good one. I'm afraid of what the future holds for the franchise with Disney. 
If you've been waiting as long as I have to see The New Mutants, it is worth it. Just keep in mind it's not going to win any awards or anything, but it is fun and the cast really does a great job. I'd love to see them work with each other again. So my friends, I have to admit, I almost thought this day would never come, but here it is. I'm happy. And I can't wait to buy The New Mutants (With an extended rated R version) on DVD.


final score: 3.7/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would