Skip to main content

The Invisible Man 2020 Movie Review

The Invisible Man 2020 Movie Poster

The Invisible Man 2020 Movie Review

Better Than I Thought 

I just got out of seeing The Invisible Man with a friend of mine at my local theater. I didn't have any hope for this film going in, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The Invisible Man follows Cecilia (Elisabeth Moss) as she runs from her abusive boyfriend. After his apparent suicide, she begins to feel as if her life can go back to some sort of normalcy. But when strange phenomena begins to happen, she starts to suspect he's not really dead.
First off, the trailer for this film was utter crap. The movie however was well acted and had a decent pace. I will have to admit I haven't seen the original as of yet, so I won't be making any comparisons in this review. Elisabeth Moss really sold the film for me. The sound was a bit off but that could have been my theaters speakers.  Oh, and the camera work was pretty good as well.
So starting off, I want to praise Elisabeth Moss. I haven't watched much of her work, but she did a fantastic job in The Invisible Man. The movie doesn't really stray from her character and that's a good thing. The film sticks with one character and fleshes her out. You get a little bit of her past and who she is as a person, which I love when films make characters more three dimensional. I want to again praise Elisabeth Moss, because she really does sell this film.
The move surprisingly had a decent pace. I thought it would be a rushed mess, but it took it's time and showed what needed to be shown. For me at least The Invisible Man didn't drag. There is also a good amount of tension in the film too. It holds on just long enough, but not too long to really ruin the scene.
I wasn't a big fan of the sound for this film, and like I said in the beginning, it could have been my theater's speakers. There was something off about the audio I just couldn't put my finger on. Also, the music fit the film well, but it wasn't anything that would standout. I think the soundtrack for The Invisible Man will become invisible soon enough.
The cinematography was pretty enjoyable, and there were a few creative shots in the film which were very pleasant to watch. There is an uneasiness about some of the camera work which can put you slightly on edge. I do want to say good job to the camera crew!
This film is a horror thriller, and that genre is not for everyone. The Invisible Man does check off some of the genre's cliches which is to be expected, but it handles it well. If you're into thrillers, you may gain some enjoyment in watching this film.
Overall, if you're looking to watch something and there's not much on, I'd probably toss this film on. I would recommend seeing it in theaters, but I wouldn't pay to watch it again. Either see it in theaters or wait until it comes out on TV. Either way, The Invisible Man is better than the promotional material surrounding it.


final score: 3.3/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would