Skip to main content

The Invisible Man 2020 Movie Review

The Invisible Man 2020 Movie Poster

The Invisible Man 2020 Movie Review

Better Than I Thought 

I just got out of seeing The Invisible Man with a friend of mine at my local theater. I didn't have any hope for this film going in, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The Invisible Man follows Cecilia (Elisabeth Moss) as she runs from her abusive boyfriend. After his apparent suicide, she begins to feel as if her life can go back to some sort of normalcy. But when strange phenomena begins to happen, she starts to suspect he's not really dead.
First off, the trailer for this film was utter crap. The movie however was well acted and had a decent pace. I will have to admit I haven't seen the original as of yet, so I won't be making any comparisons in this review. Elisabeth Moss really sold the film for me. The sound was a bit off but that could have been my theaters speakers.  Oh, and the camera work was pretty good as well.
So starting off, I want to praise Elisabeth Moss. I haven't watched much of her work, but she did a fantastic job in The Invisible Man. The movie doesn't really stray from her character and that's a good thing. The film sticks with one character and fleshes her out. You get a little bit of her past and who she is as a person, which I love when films make characters more three dimensional. I want to again praise Elisabeth Moss, because she really does sell this film.
The move surprisingly had a decent pace. I thought it would be a rushed mess, but it took it's time and showed what needed to be shown. For me at least The Invisible Man didn't drag. There is also a good amount of tension in the film too. It holds on just long enough, but not too long to really ruin the scene.
I wasn't a big fan of the sound for this film, and like I said in the beginning, it could have been my theater's speakers. There was something off about the audio I just couldn't put my finger on. Also, the music fit the film well, but it wasn't anything that would standout. I think the soundtrack for The Invisible Man will become invisible soon enough.
The cinematography was pretty enjoyable, and there were a few creative shots in the film which were very pleasant to watch. There is an uneasiness about some of the camera work which can put you slightly on edge. I do want to say good job to the camera crew!
This film is a horror thriller, and that genre is not for everyone. The Invisible Man does check off some of the genre's cliches which is to be expected, but it handles it well. If you're into thrillers, you may gain some enjoyment in watching this film.
Overall, if you're looking to watch something and there's not much on, I'd probably toss this film on. I would recommend seeing it in theaters, but I wouldn't pay to watch it again. Either see it in theaters or wait until it comes out on TV. Either way, The Invisible Man is better than the promotional material surrounding it.


final score: 3.3/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoë Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...