Skip to main content

Joker Movie Review

Joker Movie Poster

Joker Movie Review

Overhyped But Good

I just got out of seeing Joker, and it was pretty good. However, it is overhyped so prepare yourself cause this movie has been getting a lot of traction.
Joker follows Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix) as his life goes from bad to worse and into a descent into madness.
Joaquin Phoenix gives a fantastic performance as Arthur in Joker. I could tell he was really getting into the role. The film did everything right on a technical level, however is a bit predictable. I can say, Joker is entertaining.
First off, bravo Joaquin Phoenix. He really fits into this role and makes it his own. The Joker is a hard character to do right. We all know Heath Ledger's Joker is one of the best and hard to top, but Joaquin's Joker is on a different level. I think they are equally good, but they are good in different ways. Ledger's Joker is traditional perfected, but Joaquin's is a fantastic modern character study.
My one complaint about Joker is how predictable it can be. There are a couple twists in the film but I caught them early. However, though some of the parts were predictable, they were still executed well.  Well, I guess another complaint I have now that I think about it is the length of the film. However, this is a problem, because I don't know if the film should be longer or shorter.
The technical level of this film is superb. The camera work is engaging throughout the whole film, and it was so picturesque. There were frames in this film that looked like a work of art in and of themselves. It felt like they could have used some of these shots for promo material, hell, I'd hang a few of these shots on my wall. The lighting, oh the lighting! The film plays with it's use of light to tell it's story and it works so well! The music surprisingly plays a big part of the film. I think the music and the whole sound design was excellently done.
One of the best parts of this film is the tension. I felt like I was squirming in my seat for at least 3/4 of   the film. The tone was very well done as well. Arthur Fleck's reactions to the events which occur is so perfect, and it keeps building and building. Perhaps it's one of the best parts of the entire film.
Overall, if you love the character Joker, Comic Book Films, Character Studies, or just Good Films then you'll wanna see Joker. I think you'll have a good time at the theater with a group of friends if you go and see Joker.



final score: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...