Skip to main content

The Favourite Movie Review

The Favourite Movie Poster

The Favourite Movie Review

A Better Title Would Be, The Boring

I regrettably saw The Favourite a little while ago. I wanted to see this film because of my love of period and historical films, but what I got was a huge underwhelming let down.
The film opens to an 18th Century setting, where we meet our principle characters, Lady Sarah (Rachel Weisz), a close friend with Queen Anne (Olivia Colman) and Lady Sarah's cousin, Abigail (Emma Stone). With political tensions high, Lady Sarah and Abigail fight for the attention of the Queen to become, her favourite.
I went into this film expecting to see something good, but what I got was two week old leftovers which belonged in the trash. There really isn't much to the characters in this film, and they aren't really fleshed out. 
I like Emma Stone. Heck my first review on this blog was of La La Land, and I absolutely loved that film. Unfortunately, though Emma Stone did an all right performance, it's easy to tell this is far from her best work.
I read a couple reviews about this film and I keep reading this is a comedy, and heck even IMDb lists this movie as a comedy as one of its genres. The thing about comedies is, they have to be funny, and I don't remember laughing (maybe once) in this film. This movie lacks any semblance of humor, and if it wants to be associated with comedy, it does a huge disservice.
I did like the sets and costumes in the film. Each of them were well composed and competently made, and it fit the film well.
I found Olivia Colman's character of Queen Anne to be irritable at best. I'm not sure if the filmmakers were going for that sort of feel for her character, but if they were, then they did an outstanding job at it.
Rachel Weisz was... eh.... I guess. 
The cinematography as near incompetent at points. I swear, there is such as thing as holding onto a shot for to long, I'm looking at you end of the film. When there are decent shots they are just standard, and tell the visual story okay.
I had high hopes for this film, but I guess I'll let this be a lesson for not getting my hopes up. What a disappointment The Favourite was.



final score: 2/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...