Skip to main content

Red Sparrow Movie Review

Image Source
So a little bit ago I just saw Red Sparrow staring Jennifer Lawrence, and from what I've seen the response to this movie has been a mixed bag, but what did I think about it?
So in this espionage thriller, Dominika (Jennifer Lawrence) is a ballerina who breaks her leg and looses her job. Her uncle who works for the Russian Government in the intelligence field recruits her as a spy under the guise to help her financially and help with her mother's medical bills and doctors.
So, what did the movie get wrong that's giving it so much of a mixed reaction?
Well, I want to say that this movie probably isn't for everyone, because there are some scenes that could be seen as disturbing to some, and some might not like some of the nudity involved in the context of this film. That being said, does it work well with the plot? Yes, it does and it makes sense for what the movie is going for.
Some of the acting can be a little stale sometimes. Also some of the characters can be a little clichƩ in the way they are portrayed. I also have one small gripe with Jennifer Lawrence's accent, and that is I could hear her break her Russian accent sometimes.
Now, what did the film get right?
First off the music score was phenomenally crafted for this film and it is really engaging and captures your interest in the moment.
The color scheme of the movie is highly appropriate for the tone that the film is going for, and I applaud the filmmakers for their choices.
Another thing that I really like in this movie is that there is no comedy. Don't get me wrong, I love comedy, but every once and awhile it's nice to have a film taken more seriously when the film is having a moment and it's not broken from comic relief (I'm looking at you marvel), it really does work well overall.
For the most part I thought that Jennifer Lawrence's acting was really well done, and I applaud her for it. Do I think that this movie will be remembered as one of her best? Probably not, but I think that this movie might gain a cult following.
Another thing I like in this film is the lack of action, but when it's presented, it can be... hmm... intense in some ways. In many spy/thriller type of films we usually see grandiose fight scenes (i.e. James Bond, and Kingsman), but this film shows the quitter side of the spy films. The lurking in the shadows that can really build tension.
The ending of the film was really well done. In the manner that the film ends, it makes perfect sense, and is executed beautifully.
Would I recommend seeing this film? Yes, yes I would. Sure it's not perfect, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I will probably buy this movie when it is released on DVD, and I think this movie will be a nice addition to my film collection.


final score: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!