Skip to main content

The Dig Movie Review

The Dig Movie Poster

The Dig Movie Review

A Decent Film

I saw the film, The Dig a little while ago, and I thought it was an alright film. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy archeology films, you might find yourself liking this one.
The Dig follows Basil Brown as he excavates burial mounds on the land of a woman named Edith Pretty. Taking place right before British involvement in WWII.
The movie has some beautiful shots in it and the lighting is spot on. I found the performances to be engaging. The movie is a bit slow at times, and its subject matter may bore some people. The music was good but standard for the genre.
I really do think that the actors did a fine job. They did well with what they were given with and I can't ask for more. They were three dimensional, and believable. The main cast were the standouts though. There were one or two secondary characters that did really well, but the rest do seem to fade into the background.
The lighting was really well done for this film. No shot was too dark nor too bright. The coloring was vibrant and inviting. I thought the choices were excellent. The music, as stated above, was good but not very memorable. It was played at appropriate moments, and the compositions were well done overall, but it was nothing groundbreaking. However, it fit the needs of the film.
Now archaeology films, period pieces, etc. are not everyones cup of tea. That's fine. If you're generally not interested in these types of films, I wouldn't recommend seeing this one. If you are however, then I think giving The Dig a shot is a good idea.
My one other compliant about this film is the title. What the heck is with the "The" in it? It would be a lot cleaner if the movie was just titled "Dig" instead of "The Dig" and I know this is nitpicky, but it's just something small that irks me.
If there's nothing on, I would recommend giving The Dig a shot. It's worth seeing once, but I'm not sure about its rewatch value. I personally enjoy these types of films, and I had fun with it.


final score: 3.3/5
 

Comments

  1. It's called The' Dig' because that's what we call an archaeological excavation in the UK: a dig/ the dig. Eg 'Will you be helping out at the dig?' And I've seen a great many tweets from people who say that they loved this film even though they had no interest in archaeology. That's because it is much, much more than a story about finding treasure. In fact, the treasure is secondary to other themes about death, transience, remembrance, prejudice etc which you have missed but quite a few others have noticed and been moved by, even to tears. Glad you appreciated the lighting, the acting and the beauty of the piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would