Skip to main content

The Upside Movie Review

The Upside Movie Poster

The Upside Movie Review

A Rare Heartwarming Film

A couple of days ago, my dad and I went to the theater and saw the movie, The Upside. I've seen the trailers a couple of times and it looked somewhat interesting to me, not like it would be great, but it did get my attention. So, we went and saw it, and I can tell you without a doubt how wrong the critics truly are about The Upside.
The Upside follows the relationship between Dell Scott (Kevin Hart) a man who is on parole looking for a job, and Phillip Lacasse (Bryan Cranston) a quadriplegic rich man looking for a caretaker. Phillip is bored by everyone that applies for the position, until Dell walks in with a, "I don't care" attitude, and they hit it off. The film follows the friendship between them.
This is a great film, honestly. Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart are both spectacular in their own right in The Upside. They played off of each other almost naturally like they had been working with one another for years, but as far as I'm aware of, this is their first project together. I would watch the two of them again if they ever come and work with one another ever again.
The Upside has something which many movies today are missing, particularly in comedies, and the one special quality this film has is, it's funny. You know when you go to the theater and see pretty much any comedy that has come out in the past few years, and it's just a bunch of cheap laughs with little substance? Throw those movies away and save up your cash, then go out and watch The Upside immediately.
This film doesn't have just great comedy, it's also a great drama, and very heartfelt. The bond which is created between the characters is very natural and feels almost like you are there yourself becoming friends along side them.
There really aren't any negatives to the movie, but if I had to pick something it would probably be... maybe one or two small scenes feel off. It's nothing big, and I can't put my finger on it, but then again for a movie of this quality, I'm really reaching.
Would I see this movie again? Yes, I think I would, but it's one of those films you would want to see only once or twice a year so it stays special. I think everyone has a handful of films like that, and it's fine the way it is.
If you want to watch a good movie and not waste your money on trivial boring here we go again films, then maybe just maybe, you must go and see The Upside.



final score: 4/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would