Skip to main content

Eighth Grade Movie Review

Eighth Grade Movie Review

A Bo Burnham Film That Was Unexpected 

Eighth Grade the first full length film by Bo Burnham, and I didn't expect what I got with the film. I kinda think the rating for this movie is a little high, but hey, who am I to judge... oh wait.
Eighth Grade follows an eighth grade girl named Kayla (Elise Fisher), who is at the end of her middle school journey and is a bit of a social outcast. She doesn't have any friends, and she act's fake around other people.
Alright well the plot of the movie is a little simple, but I have a feeling that Bo Burnham wanted us to feel as awkward as Kayla does in the film, and boy oh boy, is this movie awkward. It's fine in it's delivery, and from what I remember being in middle school, yeah, this movie does a pretty good job of capturing the feeling.
The acting in the film is pretty authentic and Elise Fisher does a good job. However there is an overarching cringe feeling in Eighth Grade that I just can't shake the feeling off. For the most part, the other actors do a pretty good job, I don't have to many complaints, except that most weren't that memorable. It's fine though, because we the audience are supposed to be focusing on Kayla.
The cinematography of Eighth Grade is done pretty well, and there are some really interesting shots in the film which add depth. I applaud Bo Burnham in his style, I didn't expect the serious tone of the film given his more comedic endeavors.
I don't think I would be rewatching this film. It has it's merits but it just didn't grab me like I thought it would have. For a first film, Bo Burnham did a fine job, and I am excited to see what the future holds for his movie career.



final score: 3/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!