Skip to main content

Why I Freaking Hate Girls Like You By Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B (RANT)



So I've had the freaking song Girls Like You, by Maroon 5 stuck in my freaking head for the past few freaking days. I really want to keep the language PG on my blog, but it's going to be work getting through this freaking post!!!
Fist off this song lyrically is just so freaking lazy. According to Wikipedia (God Bless them and I mean it) this freaking song had not 1 not 2 but 6, 6! FREAKING. SONG. WRITERS. How the heck did it take 6 freaking people to write this mindless drivel.
Secondly, this song is nothing but pandering, and it happens to be targeted at Women. Which is something that many pop songs do. Granted I want to say that I condemn songs that blatantly pander to either Men or Women. I don't discriminate, if it's bad, it's bad. This song doesn't try to hide the fact that it's pandering, it's simply the point of the song.
Now I want to compare the first verse and refrain of this song to the first verse of a song that I find far superior.

First Verse & Refrain of Girls Like You, By Maroon 5 (Got lyrics here)

"Spent 24 hours, I need more hours with you,
You spent the weekend getting even, ooh
We spent late nights making things right between us

But now it's all good, babe
Roll the backwood, babe
And play me close"

VS

First Verse of Fire On A Hill, By Hands Like Houses (Got lyrics here)

"It starts with a spark
A flicker, a glow, as the oxygen spills
Through a delta of spindles and stone
Kindled from nothing in a whisper of smoke
There a gift ignites
A cursive thought takes flight
And there's a dancer
Twisting in between the spines
Give her the breather's kiss
And watch her spirit lift
She'll take over the stage
And She'll own the night"

Alright so to break this down from my understanding, Girls Like You, from what I just quoted is about wanting to be with a girl, they had a fight, and now they made up. It's pretty straight forward, and not to hard to figure out.
Now to break down the second song, Fire On A Hill, from what I just quoted is about the beginnings of a house fire. I personally find the language to be very beautiful, and masterfully crafted in it's presentation.
I really think the second song is far better than, Girls Like You, because the language used to craft it uses metaphors, to compare the beginnings of a house fire to the movement of a Female dancer. Which the expression of this conjures up images to the mind in such a magnificent way given the context.
I understand that most of us have some guilty pleasure song(s) that we enjoy, and sometimes it's nice to listen to something a little mindless. Yet, Girls Like You, and songs that share similar themes are the norm, and songs like, Fire On A Hill, are left for those that want to venture out of the norm to find.

Rant Done. I'm leaving you with Fire On A Hill, by Hands Like Houses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would