Skip to main content

Ready Player One Movie Review

Image Source
WARNING THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS, IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS FOR THIS FILM, READ THE REVIEW AFTERWARDS, OTHERWISE CONTINUE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Now that my spoiler warning is out of the way I can go straight to my thoughts on this film. On a technical level this film was fine. Though my personal thoughts on it are quite different. I thought that the movie in reality was depressing. I think I'm going to give my thoughts on the technical level first then explain why it's depressing, because that really needs to be addressed.
So first off, the animation of this film was extremely well done and I have to give props to the animators of this film on a job well done. This is a project that looks like it would probably be a lot of fun to work on.
The lighting of the film was fine and the darks were never to dark and the lights never to light. The film found a good balance and I applaud it for that.
The music of the film sounded mostly of an 80's soundtrack, and that wasn't a bad choice. It was just a little clichéd. Overall I didn't have a problem with the music in the film.
Steven Spielberg directed this movie. So is it one of his better projects? No, not really. This movie is certainly no Jaws, but I think that Spielberg did have fun with this movie and it seems like he didn't take it to seriously.
The acting in this film was fine. It looked like the actors had fun with this movie, but none of them gave outstanding performances. Given the context of this film I think that they all did fine, and this was most likely a passion project for them.
Now that I have covered the more technical side of this film, I have to get into why I think this is depressing. This movie really made me think about the state many people are in, by the end of this film.
This movie proved to me, by watching the very nature of this film and seeing how the audience reacted gave me the this opinion or should I say realization. I have had this in the back of my mind for quite some time now but this confirmed it for me, and that is most people now would rather live in a fantasy world rather than the real world. I want you to read that again, most people now would rather live in a fantasy world rather than the real world. 
I understand the need for escapism, will all need our little fantasies from real life, because real life can suck sometimes. I get it. Yet it seems like more and more people would rather live digitally rather than actually going out and seeing the wonders of this world. 
Don't get me wrong I love technology, and it has improved our lives immensely. At the same time though, where do we find the balance? 
By the end of this film the main protagonist ends up winning the grand prize and gains control over the video game's company. He get the girl at the end. The two of them and their friends end up sharing the company. They decide to turn off the game every Tuesday and Thursday so that people can go out and experience real life. The last shot of the film that I remember was the protagonist kissing his girlfriend as what I just wrote was narrated by our protagonist.
I don't think that most people will get the message to go out and experience life, as the moral of the story goes by the end. 
If you want to play video games and that's your hobby, that's fine. I just ask that you do more with your life than just sit on your couch and play a game on a screen all day or most of the time. What saddens me are the people who would rather be playing a video game rather than be out having a real adventure. The picture below is from Glacier National Park. I want you to think to yourself and really think on this. Would you rather sit inside your house all day having a pretend adventure or would you rather have a real one?

Image Source


final score: 3/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would