Skip to main content

Rebecca Movie Review

Rebecca Movie Review

Rebecca Movie Review

A Well Made Film But Could Have Been Better

This adaptation of Rebecca is all right based off of what I know of the story. Though it it hard to live up to Hitchcock.
I'm going to keep it simple and quote from IMDB for the synopsis, "After a whirlwind romance in Monte Carlo with handsome widower Maxim de Winter (Armie Hammer), a newly married young woman (Lily James) arrives at Manderley, her new husband's imposing family estate on a windswept English coast. Naive and inexperienced, she begins to settle into the trappings of her new life, but finds herself battling the shadow of Maxim's first wife, the elegant and urbane Rebecca, whose haunting legacy is kept alive by Manderley's sinister housekeeper Mrs. Danvers (Kristin Scott Thomas). Written by Netflix"
The cinematography and the color scheme are good. Lily James seems to fit her role well and so does Armie Hammer. However there is something that is a bit off. I can't exactly put my finger on it but this film feels like it is missing something.
Whoever was a part of the camera crew for this film did a splendid job. I really do think that the camera work was top notch. The colors really can pop in Rebecca. The colors fit each scene and it was a fantastic choice for the film.
Lily James seemed as though she was in her element for this film. Armie Hammer also does a great job. The chemistry between Lily James and Armie Hammer came off as natural. I would love to see the two of them work together again in the future.
I haven't seen the Hitchcock version of the film nor have I read the book. After seeing this version I'm more curious to see the Hitchcock version than I was before. I'll probably get around to reading the book at some point as well.
What is missing from the film I can't put my finger on. Unless there was studio interference, I place the blame on the director. Perhaps there is a feeling as if production was rushed, but I could be wrong. The pacing for the film is alright. I just don't know what it is, but I know there is something off in the film.
I love the gothic genre, but this film does not come off as gothic. I think if it was categorized as something else, then perhaps that would have swayed my rating. Now that I think of it, maybe that is it. Rebecca is missing it's gothic element.
I don't know if I would recommend seeing Rebecca. I honestly can't say. I'm not going to give it a clear negative rating because the production value doesn't deserve such a rating. However, I can't bring myself to give it a high rating either. If you want to watch to compare to the Hitchcock version or the book, then perhaps in that context I would recommend seeing Rebecca.


final score: 3/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would