Skip to main content

The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes Book Review

The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes Book Review

A Solid Prequel

I finished reading The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes, by Suzanne Collins, and it was a good prequel.
The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes follows a young 18 year old Coriolanus Snow as his family has fallen on rough times in the Capitol. His once proud family has been reduced to near poverty while trying to keep up appearances. He still goes to a prestigious Academy for Capitol children, and for the 10th annual Hunger Games, Coriolanus is selected to be the mentor for the District 12 Girl Tribute, Lucy Gray. The war is still fresh in the minds of the citizens of Panem, and as Coriolanus seeks to raise his status in the Capitol, many challenges lay ahead. With the encouraging words, Snow lands on top he is hungry for victory. Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds ever be in your favor!
I am a massive fan of this series. I've read the whole series, and the first book multiple times. I've seen every movie on the official premiere date. And, I preordered The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes. There are a few other things as well, but I won't get into it here. Coriolanus is an interesting character and so is Lucy Gray. The pacing of the book is somewhat mixed and it is long, but the further I got through The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes, the more I enjoyed it. Now, I'm going to have to talk politics a little bit in this post, and this isn't a political blog, but politics play a central role in the overall theme and message of the book. 
I've seen other reviews by book reviewers on youtube and the response has been mixed. This is an either love or hate book. I'm seeing very little in between. I will grant the negative side that this book does lack the subtlety of the original series. However, to counter this point, I think this book was written to hammer out the original themes and messages in the series in a way that could be described as, "A little louder for the people in the back!" There is some fan service which was a little annoying, but it's nothing that gets in the way of the main plot, and some of the fan service makes sense for the overall story. 
This book opens to quotes from Enlightenment Philosophers and Mary Shelley. The ideas of the Enlightenment are debated throughout the book and play a role for many characters development. Some of the dialogue is a little blunt at times, but it's still entertaining. The way in which Collins presents these ideas is interesting and for those who are not acquainted with Enlightenment thought, this could serve as a basic introduction in some regards.
One thing I did not understand when The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes was announced was the backlash it received for putting President Snow as the lead. I thought it would be interesting to see Panem from the view of the Capitol, and to get to know the Villain of the series a little more. And I think I was right, it was interesting to see what the Capitol was like and the origins of President Snow. Whenever I go back and read the original series, it will add to my overall understanding of the character.
The world building and expanding is great in this book. We get so many details about the early years of the Hunger Games and their origins, it's really neat to read. The book answers many questions, but still leaves some open to be asked. The Capitol during the time of the 10th Hunger Games is a far cry from the one during the 74th Hunger Games. We get to see how some elements of the games were added and how they changed over time. Why also learn why they were created and we get to meet their creator. The history here is really interesting.
Coriolanus is presented in an interesting way. In some regard the reader could sympathize with his general situation in the beginning of the book, but it's clear from the start he is no angel. We get to see little nudges that lead him down the path he took, and we get a better understanding of why he takes certain actions in the Original Series. Lucy Gray is a fun character. She is very likable, and adds a different flavor to the series which is refreshing.
The pacing is a mixed bag for The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes. There are some really great moments in the book and some twists that I didn't see coming which were great. But there were a few slower parts which should have received some more editing. I think just one more round through an editor would have been perfect. There isn't a lot I would cut. I mean this book is a little over 500 pages, and I am not saying cut 100 but more like 10 or maybe 20 at the most. Otherwise the pacing was fine.
I think the last third of the book is what will really divide people. It's jarring when it starts as it's so different from the rest of The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes, but I think it might be some of the best parts of the book. There is a ton of character growth that occurs during the last third of this book, and it's good. The first two parts of this book was good, don't get me wrong, but I think the last third was what really bumped my overall rating for The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes up another whole point.
If you're a big fan of the original Hunger Games series, you'll probably like this book. If you're a causal fan of the series, this probably isn't for you. I'm really excited to see what the movie will be like when it comes out. The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes isn't a perfect book, but it is a good book, and a good prequel.


final score: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would