Skip to main content

The Dig Movie Review

The Dig Movie Poster

The Dig Movie Review

A Decent Film

I saw the film, The Dig a little while ago, and I thought it was an alright film. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy archeology films, you might find yourself liking this one.
The Dig follows Basil Brown as he excavates burial mounds on the land of a woman named Edith Pretty. Taking place right before British involvement in WWII.
The movie has some beautiful shots in it and the lighting is spot on. I found the performances to be engaging. The movie is a bit slow at times, and its subject matter may bore some people. The music was good but standard for the genre.
I really do think that the actors did a fine job. They did well with what they were given with and I can't ask for more. They were three dimensional, and believable. The main cast were the standouts though. There were one or two secondary characters that did really well, but the rest do seem to fade into the background.
The lighting was really well done for this film. No shot was too dark nor too bright. The coloring was vibrant and inviting. I thought the choices were excellent. The music, as stated above, was good but not very memorable. It was played at appropriate moments, and the compositions were well done overall, but it was nothing groundbreaking. However, it fit the needs of the film.
Now archaeology films, period pieces, etc. are not everyones cup of tea. That's fine. If you're generally not interested in these types of films, I wouldn't recommend seeing this one. If you are however, then I think giving The Dig a shot is a good idea.
My one other compliant about this film is the title. What the heck is with the "The" in it? It would be a lot cleaner if the movie was just titled "Dig" instead of "The Dig" and I know this is nitpicky, but it's just something small that irks me.
If there's nothing on, I would recommend giving The Dig a shot. It's worth seeing once, but I'm not sure about its rewatch value. I personally enjoy these types of films, and I had fun with it.


final score: 3.3/5
 

Comments

  1. It's called The' Dig' because that's what we call an archaeological excavation in the UK: a dig/ the dig. Eg 'Will you be helping out at the dig?' And I've seen a great many tweets from people who say that they loved this film even though they had no interest in archaeology. That's because it is much, much more than a story about finding treasure. In fact, the treasure is secondary to other themes about death, transience, remembrance, prejudice etc which you have missed but quite a few others have noticed and been moved by, even to tears. Glad you appreciated the lighting, the acting and the beauty of the piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...