Skip to main content

Cyrano Movie Review

Cyrano Movie Poster

Cyrano Movie Review

Friend Zone The Movie

I went and saw the movie Cyrano last night with one of my friends, and it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be.
Cyrano follows a love triangle between the Poet and Capitan, Cyrano (Peter Dinklage), a woman named, Roxanne (Haley Bennett), and a new soldier, Christian (Kelvin Harrison Jr.). Cyrano writes letters for Christian addressed to Roxanne signed by Christian while loving Roxanne himself.
The film Cyrano was more comedic in the first two-thirds of the film than I think they intended it to be. I would have rated this movie a three out of five, but the final third of this film went into full drama and just nailed it.
While watching the film I was trying to figure out which time period Cyrano took place, but I found out after watching the film, the creators made it into historical fiction. They make no claim for this film to be historically accurate as far as I can tell, so I won't judge them on that.
The actors each did fine. Peter Dinklage is a solid actor and he played his part well, and I think gave the best performance of the movie. Haley Bennett and Kelvin Harrison Jr. were on par with each other. There were a few moments in this film I think the creators were trying to be serious, but they came off as comedic. I think this film could have worked well as a comedy based on the first two-thirds.
The last third of the film was a heavy shift in tone and became way more dramatic. If they went this route to begin with, I think this film would have easily been over a four for my rating.
The music is pretty standard for modern musicals. Nothing really stands out except for one song during the last third of the film which is filled to the brim with emotion. You'll know it when the scene comes up. But, besides that one song, yeah it was pretty standard.
The cinematography was pretty good. There were a few fun shots in Cyrano. The lighting was pretty solid, and so was the editing. The costume design was colorful and fit the tone of the film really well. I think from the technical side of thing, Cyrano did a good job.
If musicals are your thing, I think you'll have a good time. Would I watch it again? Eh? It would depend on the circumstances. I would have said this was an average film, but that last third really did elevate Cyrano.


final score: 3.5/5
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Happy 5 Years!

 Happy 5 Years! Can you guys believe it? It's been four years since I started the blog. The blog has been doing pretty well. It gets around 500 views a month give or take. I wanted to thank you all for coming along on this movie journey with me, and here's to another year of reviews!

The Batman Movie Review

The Batman Movie Review A Solid Noir Film I went and saw The Batman the other day with one of my buddies and I must say, we really enjoyed it. Granted I don't think this movie is for everyone. The Batman follows Batman (Robert Pattinson) during his second year of crime fighting. When the mayor of Gotham is killed by The Riddler (Paul Dano), it is up to Batman with the help of James Gordon (Jeffery Wright), and Selina Kyle (Zoƫ Kravitz) to stop him. From a visual point of view, The Batman is gorgeous. Every frame is a painting. The acting is solid, the plot is solid. The musical score is outstanding. I personally loved the film, but there are some things in it that could off-set some Batman fans. I typically get into the acting first, but like you've probably already heard many reviewers say before, the city is a character in this film. Gotham feels real, grounded, and certainly not a place you'd want to visit. Corruption and crime run rampant at every level of society. The ...