Skip to main content

Dune Movie Review

Dune Movie Poster

Dune Movie Review

A Slow, But Grand Epic

I was able to see Dune over the weekend and I must say that it is a perhaps the first true Epic of a Film that I've seen this year. However, that doesn't mean it's not without it's faults.

I'm going to use the description from IMDB for this review, "A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, 'Dune' tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence-a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential-only those who can conquer their fear will survive."

The cinematography is top notch in Dune. The acting is pretty solid as well. The score is a soaring. The pace, is a bit on the slower side. This film likes to take its time, and it is an investment. There is something refreshing about this film though that made it stand out compared to the other films released this year.

Starting off with the cinematography, every shot is a painting. I honestly can't think of one bad shot in the entire film. I also just want to make a note about the landscape that is crafted for Dune, it is stunning. Each world feels distinct from each other. 

The acting is great. The actors embody their characters and deliver a performance that fits the narrative and never feels out of place. Their reactions feel natural to the situations they find themselves in. The chemistry on screen is fresh and engaging in each interaction.

I must take a moment to talk about the score of this film. It's Hans Zimmer. Need I say more? Fine, I will! He delivers yet another sweeping score that raises the tension of every decision characters make and strengthens each scene. Though I do feel like there was perhaps one or two scenes that could have toned it down a little where silence might have been more effective. 

Now, I do have to say something about the pacing of Dune. This film is long, and you can feel it. I know some people love slower paced films, and others hate it. I find myself going back and forth on this aspect. Though the film is slow, there was never a point where my attention waned. I do feel like the film was missing something in its slower pace though. Maybe I was wanting a little more character development, or something of the sort. This isn't a major complaint by no means, but it is noticeable.

The last thing I really have to comment about Dune is the CGI. Dune should win an award for its CGI. It beats out everything else that has come out this year. I think it raises the bar for what we can do with CGI, and I'm excited to see what the future holds.

If you enjoy sci-fi epics or grand storytelling, Dune is a must see the year. I have a strong feeling this film will make my top 5 best films of the year list. As a final note, I saw this off of HBO Max, and I think the best viewing experience would probably be in a theater for first viewing. If you get the chance, go out and see Dune.



final score: 4.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncharted Movie Review

Uncharted Movie Review Not As Good As The Games I went and saw the movie Uncharted a while ago, and it was as I expected it to be. If you are a fan of the games, well... prepare for disappointment. Uncharted follows Nathan Drake (Tom Holland), a low level thief as he is recruited by Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg) to go on a treasure hunt. As someone who has played some of the games, but not all, I have to say that the Uncharted film is what I thought it would be. A mishmash of all four games but not committing to any of them. The acting is a bit stale, and the plot is predictable. The camera work was fine, but the music was underused. Tom Holland should not have been Nathan Drake. He lacks the charisma, the attitude, and the charm. He may have passed for a teenage Nathan Drake, but he should have only been in a few scenes. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Holland either long time readers may know. Now, onto Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan. Mark Wahlberg is way too young to be playi

2022 Halloween Playlist

  2022 Halloween Playlist Well, it's that time of year again! It's time for the Halloween Playlist! I'm happy to continue this tradition. So, like each year, I build on the list from the previous years. Maybe you'll find something to add to your Halloween playlist this year too!  

Coda Movie Review

Coda Movie Review This Deserved Best Picture So, I just got back from seeing Coda, and it was amazing! This was the second attempt to see this film as the first time, someone booked the entire theater for a private screening. I'm going to take from a summary from IMDB to summarize the plot: " As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents." The acting was  phenomenal, the  cinematography was beautiful, and the story was human. The way this film is crafted is nothing short but excellent. I will not that not everything is 100% accurate, but for narrative reasons, I understand the choices they made. The actors have amazing chemistry together. Everything feels natural between them and they all bring their characters to life. No performance fell flat. I perhaps would